1/5/19

Tipping Tea

Late Saturday afternoon, while nothing in particular is happening I decided to make myself a cup of tea, nothing special about it. I set my cup out, put in my sugar and set the pot up to boil while I go for a smoke.

Once the water is boiled all I have to do is simply pour it into my cup with my tea bag. A simple task that I have done a million times throughout my life without incident. This however was not the case this time.

This time, as I poured the boiled water into my cup, my cup suddenly and very slowly started to tip over. Without thinking I put out my hand to stop the cup from spilling but unfortunately all I did was fight the tipping cup for a few seconds, scalding my fingers rather badly.

I told my husband what happened and he originally thought that I maybe held the pot too close and accidentally knocked it over, so I reenacted what happened with an empty cup showing him exactly how slowly the cup had tipped.

Needless to say my husband looked at the cup in disbelief before grabbing my hand to examine my new burns. He quicky put his first aid training to work ensuring that my hand was placed in cold water to counteract the burn and started looking for the aloe gel. Unfortunately I hadn't bought any new aloe so he grabbed the calamine lotion and poured it over my fingers.

The calamine worked well initially but then the burning came back with a vengeance so I grabbed my trusty icepack from the freezer and wrapped it around my fingers.

I'm still in disbelief about what happened. It is physically impossible for a cup to tip so slowly without something holding onto it, and yet it happened.

I wish I could say that this is the first time that something like this had happened but sadly this is a common occurrence. Usually things that happen are harmless but from time to time it is quite clear that whatever is here wants to harm me and I am powerless to stop it.

I'll continue to document the things that happen and I hope that whatever is going on stops and stops soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment